I was surfing xangas earlier this week when I came across a particularly sad entry. It was so, so sad... that I refrained from leaving a comment. I rationalized to myself, "oh, [this friend of mine] doesn't want to be lectured by me..."
Yesterday, I went back through my subscriptions to find that someone had left a comment for that sad post. Then the next day, another person left a second one.
Instead of taking the moral high ground, or the "this is what you need to do" approach, these friends offered their empathy. They had felt the same at one point in their life, and they chose to reopen their past vulnerabilities to help out a friend. I can not say if their comments have touched the author of the post, but they really opened my eyes to how to be a better friend.
That made my day.
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment