Monday, April 17, 2006

Everyone's Invited to Grant's Birthday

If you really think of it, birthdays are the ultimate exercise in egocentricity. We throw parties for ourselves and expect people to be nice to us, give us presents, take us out, and so on. Tonight I received an e-mail from Grant, I met him through Project WILD. His birthday is coming up.

Even though many of you do not know who he is, I want to invite you all to his party... It doesn't matter where you are in the world right now. If you can read these words right now, you can attend Grant's birthday.

Please read his message:

To all my friends and family,

In the past I've gone to a club, karaoke, and a comedy club for my birthday. This year, I was going to plan a typical birthday dinner and I had even called around for a place, but I deep down I didn't really want to do that. Instead, I've decided that I'm going to do something much cooler. Yes, that's right- I'm having a virtual birthday party! This is how it works....

Instead of a dinner, where you get fed, I'm asking everyone to my virtual birthday by going to Zoe Children's Home's website. Admission is anything you please.

Zoe's Children's Home in Bangkok is a Christian organization that helps children avoid a life of prostitution by taking them off the street by providing education and housing. So instead of buying expensive alcohol for me, you can help save children in Bangkok. I think that's a good present.

Now the details:

When: April 19 from 8:00pm to 2:00am or whenever we get kicked out...
Where: http://www.zoechildrenshomes.org/ourfight_overview.php
How: You can donate by clicking on the Give Now button to donate through Paypal or you can mail a check the old fashion way.
Why: Cuz its my birthday and human trafficking sucks.
How much is this gonna set me back?: Ladies in free before 10PM... Just kidding. Anything you want.

Feel free to pass the website along to other friends if you like what these people are doing. You know how I like to party, the more the merrier!

SEE YOU THERE! (I won't actually be on AIM if you're wondering)

Feeling old,
Grant



This is seriously the most meaningful birthday party I have ever been invited to. I am just sitting here stunned. Grant has taken the one day where he could legitimately be the most selfish guy on the planet, and turned it into something that is so very much the opposite...

Thank you for making my day, Grant! I will be there on April 19th.

No comments: