Today was my last day volunteering at H School. I have spent over 80 hours working with students from grades K/1 special education, first grade and fourth grade even though I was only required to be there for 45.
I have been concentrating most on Ms. H's fourth grade class, so I have grown very close to her students. There's just something about the her and her students that draws me back at 8 am every morning...
I observe for much of the time, but I have a lot of direct contact with the students when I lead my own group for language arts and when I float around the classroom during math time. Over time, the students have grown comfortable around me and have even expressed that they missed me when I was sick!
Today was my last day since I will be going home to Malaysia and not returning to the country (and possibly the school) until February. I wanted to do something a little special for each of them...
I came up with the idea of making little cards for each of them,
(There's that apple from last week. I'm going to let it sit there until it rots! If I could, I would get it br
I assembled the chocolate bar trees in the faculty room at lunch today, then I brought Ms. H's up to her in her room. Her eyes widened and her co-workers stopped their conversations. It was really a moment to remember as she gave me this huge hug and said she was getting misty eyed!
When I passed out the candy bars to the class, they sat there quietly waiting their turn. The silence was almost unprecedented! Once each student received their candy and tree-note, they poured over the words I had written. They smiled :) and surrounded me with unending hugs....then and throughout the day....
So I possibly made their days, right?
Let's balance that with the YMMD moments I received without any expectations!
Earlier this morning, one student, R, had approached me with an origami
While we were walking back from recess, the girls left their line to crowd around me. "Will you sit next to me in Community Circle?" Earlier, it was the boys that had fought over sitting next to me ...omg, so touching!
During the language arts segment, another student, D, gave me a small poster. It says "Hope you have a great time!" and it has a face that is crying...balloons?
His neighbor, a quiet girl named, S, slowly brought out a six-sided card for me. Earlier that morning she had asked me how to spell my name. Now it was making sense! I almost went emo on her, with my own misty eyes...
Another student brought out a small toy skateboard. Another gave me one of his pencils and a signed eraser. (Ms. H even presented me with leather journal.) They were such sweet gestures! They were giving me whatever they had to give!
And the students wore their Christmas trees like little badges of honor....some said they would even be putting them up in their rooms, or on their desk, so they would remember me when they saw their little tree...
One blocked the door saying, "no, we can't let you go!"
I was the center of a group hug!!!
AHHHHHHHHHHHHHHHH!!!! YMMD!!!!!!!!!
I am going to miss you, Room 203! You truly made me feel so special and appreciated!
No comments:
Post a Comment