Saturday, May 19, 2007

My Mom's First Grade Class

I hadn't been in my mom's class for months, but I went back last Thursday and Friday. It was bright and early, eight-something in the morning and the kids were starting to arrive. One my mom's students, Stella, walked in casually said, "Hi, Michelle!" I was paralyzed in my seat. How did she remember my name? I had only been in the class twice in the entire year!

Then imagine twenty little voices saying, "Good morning, Michelle" in unison! Ahhh! Seeing them blaze through their consonant blends and their vowels, helping each other with the calendar, and singing along with my mom to silly tunes, it's excellent!

So, why was I there? I was in my mom's class to help the kids type their rainforest stories on the computer. They will each be publishing their own book. I giggle as I turn the pages of their rough drafts partly because the stories are clever and partly because they're still at the "sounding-out-sounds" stage in spelling. Sometimes it's like deciphering foreign code, but my mom can read through it like a pro!

I would like to share one of my favorite stories. It's just...fabulous and it has some real depth and meaning to it. I'll let you decipher Filip's story. He is seven years old and from Sweden.
"Charlie the Cheetah"

There was a cheetah named Charlie. He ate snakes and rats. He lived in a cave with his best friend, Albin.

One day, something happened in the rainforest. It was some people cutting down the trees! The cheetah chased the people away. They were so scared. One man was so scared, he fell and the cheetah ate him.

The cheetah went back to his cave and took a nap.

Check that out! It's Charlie the Cheetah - - defender of the rainforest!

If that wasn't enough to make my day, little Sophie from Australia and Ayano from Japan really made sure of it. After lunch they each drew me a masterpiece and autographed them! I have them taped into my journal now. Sigh! Little things that students do will never lose their sparkle with me. It has always been implied in my Project WILD posts, but there is something about the classroom. It's just a magical place!




People can make your day just with their spirit and their presence.
I absolutely love it.

No comments: