Tuesday, November 14, 2006

It's Not Chivalry. It's Just Being Nice!

It was pouring rain and I was late for an appointment. I sprinted out of my apartment without an umbrella because I had no time to turn back. Malaysian raindrops are seriously 40985 times larger than in the US so my top and skirt were turning different shades of blue and grey!

I reached the main street only to see two middle-aged men waiting, also without umbrellas.

I realized they were waiting for taxis.

A taxi stopped, the first man opened the passenger seat door, spoke shortly to the driver, then closed the door. He then looked in my direction, and held his arm in a "please, take this taxi"-type fashion. I couldn't believe it. IT WAS POURING. He had no umbrella!

My heart broke into the biggest smile of the day. I thanked him as sincerely as I could, then jumped into the taxi. We drove for only a minute when the taxi driver said,

"Ah, you know, BIG BIG traffic, lots of waiting time." It was then that I realized he probably wasn't intending on picking up any passengers and that he actually did me a favor by accepting me into the car!

DOUBLE YMMD THANKFULNESS!!!!!!!!!

No comments: