Thursday, March 16, 2006

Thank You, Darfur Action Committee (DAC)

DAC is the uber-model for all student activist groups on campus. They have staged mock-hearings, powerful visual displays, hosted tons of informational presentations, have organized multiple rallies, have directly lobbied the government in both D.C. and Sacramento, have networked with tons of faculty and student orgs, have received tons of media attention AND have come out to our Amnesty events! It is really hard to believe that they are all students just like you and me.

Seeing all the work they have put into their "University of California Divest from Sudan" - or UC Divest for short - come to an apex today was very very moving. Today was the final vote on whether the UC would stop investing money in oil companies that fund genocide in Darfur. We marched, we chanted, we danced, we sang...we even died for Darfur in a mock "die-in" with signs on us reading "I am a victim of Genocide in Darfur". Brandon and I were there for two and a half hours, I am sure that the core of DAC along with other dedicated student activists were there for at least 10!

And you know what?






THEIR ACTIVISM, OUR ACTIVISM PAID OFF!

The University of California has voted unanimously to divest from Sudan.

AND THAT SERIOUSLY MADE MY DAY!

It is through the amazing efforts of the Darfur Action Committee and every single person that attended today and along the way that today ended like it did! When Farheen text'd me the results, I felt this wave of heat flow through me. I WAS ECSTATIC and almost screamed in the middle of south campus! NOTHING could ruin my mood after that

To everyone that has contributed to this campaign and have familiarized themselves with the issues, THANK YOU!

No comments: